Being a Mobile Eye Clinic volunteer is a great opportunity for those interested in optometry, public health, or any area within the health/nonprofit fields. We are flexible and try to tailor our program to meet the interests and expertise of our volunteers. Volunteers help us with a multitude of tasks that contribute to our mission and programs such as:
UMEC also offers internships. It requires a greater commitment of 80-100 hours during a 10-week quarter. Students need to secure their own class credit through their major's department or school. While it has the same general duties as a volunteer, an intern will take on an additional project for the term.
Our volunteer and intern program is currently at capacity. If you are still interested in joining us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prospective volunteers and interns follow the same process to join:
1) Email email@example.com, or call the office at (310)-825-2195, to schedule an interview.
2) Once you complete the interview process, you will recieve an invitational letter. Use it to fill out the online application.
3) Complete three of the trainings:
- HIPAA - print out or save the certificate of completion and confidentiality statement.
- Annual Safe Patient Handling - print out or save the certificate of completion.
- CICARE - print out or save the certificate of completion.
4) Email these completed training certificates, references form, and medical documentation of MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) vaccinations to firstname.lastname@example.org. These forms may also be mailed to Stein Eye Institute, 100 Stein Plaza Room 3-221, Los Angeles CA 90095.
5) After we have recieved your certificates, the next step is to meet with Stein Eye Human Resources Office. They will process the second part of the paperwork and background check.
6) Once your background check has cleared, you will be able to pick up your ID badge and begin!